NEWS: State Charges Against R. Kelly Dropping Following Federal Convictions By Illinois Prosecutor
State Charges Against R. Kelly Dropping Following Federal Convictions By Illinois Prosecutor
An Illinois prosecutor said this week that charges against R. Kelly, including aggravated sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault, will be dismissed following the singer’s federal convictions.
In a lengthy statement shared on Monday, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx outlined what has happened at the federal level since her office originally filed charges against Kelly in 2019. Last June , for example, Kelly was sentenced to 30 years in prison in connection with her conviction by a federal jury on counts including child sexual exploitation, Mann’s Act violations, and more.
“I understand how hard it was for these victims to come forward and tell their stories,” Foxx said Monday. “I applaud their courage and have the utmost respect for everyone who came forward. While this may not be the result they were expecting, due to the sentences that Mr. Kelly is facing, we do feel that justice has been served. My office will direct our resources to find justice for other victims of sexual abuse who do not have the power of a documentary to bring their abusers to light.”
In September, Kelly was also federally convicted of multiple counts of producing child pornography and soliciting a minor for sex. Although Kelly faces up to 90 years in the Illinois federal case, he has yet to be convicted.
Kelly’s former manager, Donnell Russell, on the other hand was sentenced to a year behind bars last month for threatening to shoot her at the premiere of Lifetime’s Surviving R. Kelly documentary series.
Above all, we hope justice is uphold according and all parties receive what they deserve.
FOR UPDATE ALERTS
JOIN 360MEDIA WHATSAPP GROUP
JOIN 360MEDIA TELEGRAM CHANNEL
JOIN 360MEDIA FACEBOOK GROUP
FOLLOW 360MEDIA ON TWITTER
Drop your view about this post